Friday, January 18, 2008

Living Under a Rock


So I was reading the other day that, every one's new screen writing darling Diablo Cody and the hit she wrote 'Juno' may not be as original as everyone thinks. There's a Korean movie called "Jenny Juno" which is a about a Korean dude named Juno who knocks up his girl and has to mature and the like to take care of this. I'm not saying that Diablo Cody lifted this idea, but it seems to damn similar to not be an influence in some way. Of course most of you won't care because Juno made you feel smart and nice in that coming of age sense, so does Squid and the Whale and really that was a better movie. I'm not gonna lie, I am an elitist when it comes to media, if you're on the same page as me which i know most people who read Vertigo comics, watch movies that aren't at a Cineplex, and listen to music that's not on the radio are, doesn't it seem a little peculiar that there are two movies with similar subject matter and really have characters with the same name in it and it's NOT an adaptation.

Diablo Cody has responded to this on her blog (is it me or does everyone have one these days?)

"Unbeknown st to me, we had another spiritual cousin out there, a Korean movie called "Jenny, Juno", This time, the cousinry goes one step further and the movie is about--seriously--a pregnant teenager and her cute, sweet boyfriend. (The guy character is named Juno, not the girl.) There's no adoption subplot and apparently the film is otherwise dissimilar to mine, but how fucked up is that? I bring this up because a journalist drilled me about it recently--awkward!--and also because I saw someone on our IMDb board wondering if Juno was a remake of the K-flick. So for the record, 1.) it isn't a remake 2.) I haven't seen 'Jenny, Juno,' though I want to now, and 3.) I don't think anyone would even bat an eye about this if my film was called Jenny. The name Juno is just so darned distinctive that confusion is inevitable"


Confusion? I dunno... if you're getting into film (which i hope to do someday) you try and get your hands on anything you can get, and if you can adapt something you'd do it. because we all know that Reservoir Dogs is just an adaptation of a old John Woo movie. Doesn't make it shitty, it doesn't make Tarintino any less of a filmmaker, it's just something if you're really into film you know.

This probably won't affect Diablo Cody in anyway, this Ex Titty Bar dancer is too damn hot and with Ellen Page and Jason Reitmen backing her she has nothing to fear. It's not like they throw you outta Hollywood if you adapt things. Just admit you've at least heard of it, because as we all know the Interweb is a merciless place where loudmouthery rules.

Oh and by the way, I enjoyed Juno, but really the script was decent but the directing and the soundtrack rocked the hell out of that bitch!

If you haven't seen Thank You For Smoking and you're giving Bigups to Juno you're only proving to me that you're one of the ruiners of all things cool.

See you at the shop!

No comments: