Friday, February 15, 2008

New Kid On the Block



It's been awhile, there's been a lack of new blood over at the 'House Of Ideas' Bendis and Brubaker have been running the show for like 3 years and there's just a lack of new energy rocking around the Marvel U... UNTIL NOW

Meet Jason Aaron, writer for the DC/Vertigo series Scalped which in and of itself is pretty fantastic but now he's rocking like Bendis did in his workaholic prime. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, it's only been one issue each of the new books he's taken over (notice how i haven't mentioned the titles of these books yet, I bet the wait is killing all of you slowly.)

Six issues of the useless story of Wolverine digesting a hand grenade story is over and now we're on to the post Messiah Complex hunt for Mystique. With solid art form Ron Garney and some streamlined use of Wolverine having all his memories back, as opposed to just tossing it all into another book and having it making no sense. Now the search of Mystique kicks off with the bang, actually more like a firing squad, then it gets kicked up three notches when it goes on a cross town chase through the heart of the middle eastern world.

The best part of all this is that it actually ties in with Uncanny X-Men and X-Force, thank you for finally reforming the X-Men universe, and making it worth my reading.


Now here are words I'd never thought say in from when this series started.

"Ghost Rider issue number twenty...was actually a good read." - Justin Elliott

This series started off weak, and poor man's Garth Ennis (Daniel Way) had no idea what to do, and it ended with Ghost Rider actually being an angel . (what?) But in a good example of lemon's into lemonade, Jason Aaron managed to make it at least a cool read, not taking itself to seriously but still maintaining what made Johnny Blaze awesome.

These are two books that kinda faltered for awhile and now have a good chance to kick back and really get back to seventies marvel.

2 comments:

Michael Kasaboski said...

You are indeed correct. Jason Aaron is incredible, as is Scalped. In his first issue of Wolverine he made excellent use of Mytique's shape-changing power to add some awesome twists and curves to the plot which leave Wolvie in some serious hot water at the end of the book. Can't wait for next issue!

As for Ghost Rider. I love the character, but I wrote that book off long ago and I won't be going back.

Oh, hey there Justin! I hear you have a blog. Some fine reading here too. Give mine a look if you would. I gave you a link on mine ;)

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Everything you said about Aaron is correct, I know you're a big fan of his The Other Side as well (I still have to read that myself).

Just one thing I want to add is that the idea of Ghost Rider, The Spirit of Vengeance, being a being from Heaven makes a lot more sense to me and it seems Aaron is taking that ball and running with it all the way to the goal post. I'm really digging this book right now. Plus GR has got a cool looking whip and you know I'm all about the whip!